Pyelonephritis: why it is dangerous, symptoms and treatment methods
Pyelonephritis is a nonspecific infection disease of the kidneys caused by various bacteria. Patients suffering from acute and chronic pyelonephritis, account for about 2/3 of all urological people. Pyelonephritis can occur in acute or chronic form, hitting one or both kidneys. Asymptomatic disease or mild symptoms in chronic pyelonephritis often dulls vigilance patients who underestimate the severity of the disease and are not serious enough to care. Diagnosis and its treatment are carried by physician nephrologist. In the absence of timely therapy it can lead to serious complications such as kidney failure, kidney carbuncle or abscess, sepsis and bacterial shock.
Kidney infection causes
The disease can occur at any age. Most pyelonephritis is developed:
- in children aged up to 7 years (the probability of occurrence of pyelonephritis increases due to the anatomical features of the development);
- young women aged 18-30 years (the occurrence of disease is associated with the onset of sexual activity, pregnancy and childbirth);
- in older men (with urinary tract obstruction due to the development of benign prostatic hyperplasia).
Pyelonephritis often appears in patients with urolithiasis. Adverse factors contributing to the emergence of illness include diabetes, immune disorders, chronic inflammatory diseases and frequent exposure. In some cases (usually female) pyelonephritis develops after acute cystitis. Asymptomatic disease is the cause of delayed diagnosis of chronic pyelonephritis. Patients start to get therapy when kidney function is already impaired. Because the disease often occurs in patients suffering from urolithiasis, so these humans need special treatment even in the absence of signs of kidney infection.
What are the clinical kidney infection symptoms typical for pyelonephritis?
In acute pyelonephritis:
- a sharp increase in body temperature to 39-40 degrees with chills;
- increased sweating;
- loss of appetite;
- sleep disturbances: daytime sleepiness, insomnia at night;
- nausea, vomiting;
- frequent urination;
- discomfort when urinating;
- pain or heaviness in the lumbar region, aching pain is that increases with movement. It arises due to stretching the kidney capsule;
- dryness of mucous membranes and skin;
- change the transparency of urine (urine becomes cloudy).
In chronic pyelonephritis during acute clinic is the same as in the acute course. However, the long-term course of the disease may show signs of chronic renal failure and high blood pressure.
How is dangerous pyelonephritis?
Complications of kidney infection are associated with the development of purulent processes and progressive renal dysfunction, leading to chronic renal failure. Complications of pyelonephritis:
- arterial hypertension;
- suppurative complications (abscesses, paranephritis, urosepsis (blood poisoning));
- death from chronic renal failure.
How to cure pyelonephritis?
For urine analyzes physicians determine the presence of intestinal bacteria in the body, and also make clear the increased change in blood proteins and leukocytes. Diagnosis helps to identify previously transferred an acute purulent inflammation and the presence of chronic diseases. Under the acute form it is selected primary conservative treatment, when the patient is placed in a hospital. Antibiotics for pyelonephritis are considered the best way of treating infections and inflammations, but to choose antibiotics without doctor’s prescription is impossible in any case. Based on analyzes of individual doctors select antibacterials for patients with a wide range of effects on the body. The kidney infection treatment can be supplemented by indications with ayurvedic products (Cystone, Rumalaya, Shigru, Punarnava, Gokshura and others), preparations with spasmolytic action (Darifenacin, Detrol, Urispas and Ditropan, so on), anti-inflammatory agents and diuretics herbs. If pyelonephritis develops on the background of stone blockage of the urinary tract than patients need surgical treatment (kidney stones are removed).
Which antibiotic is better with pyelonephritis?
Therapy of pyelonephritis with antibiotics must be under constant supervision of doctors. Often the doctor stop the choice on the empirically chosen antibiotics, as under urinary tract infection, cystitis and pyelonephritis common first treatment drugs gives a good result. On the basis of analyzes carried out in laboratories, doctors more accurately determine what type of antibiotics will need to write down for the patient:
- The main types against the disease are penicillins antibiotics group (Amoxicillin, Amoxil, Augmentin, Ampicillin, and so on), which, thanks to its excellent tolerability, have been successfully used for the cure of pyelonephritis, even pregnant women.
- Cephalosporin drugs (Ñefaclor, Ñefixime Oral Suspension, Ñefotaxime, Ceclor Cd, Ñefadroxil, Ceclor, Ñeftin, Omnicef, Suprax, Vantin, others). Such preparations have low toxicity. Side effects if properly applied are a rarity. Possibility of continuous 2-week course of treatment is the main advantage of cephalosporins.
- Aminoglycoside antibiotics (Gentamicin, Amikacin, etc.). Because of their high nephrotoxicity, impairs hearing, they are not prescribed to people in old age. It is a powerful antimicrobial agent, and is applied in complicated forms of the disease. The interval between doses should be more than a year.
- Fluoroquinolones (Avelox, Ciloxan, Cipro, Ciplox-TZ, Ofloxacin, and many others) are appointed as injections for acute forms of the disease. You can apply up to two times per day, which accelerates the treatment.
Special conditions with pyelonephritis
Cure of kidney pain should be complex, only then it will give the maximum effect:
- It is advisable to stick to a diet and special treatment, including home remedies for kidney infection and then the disease has receded much faster.
- Do not supercool.
- 30-40 minutes a day of dining dedicate rest in the lying position.
- Empty your bladder as often as possible.
- Try to always be warm.
- For chronic kidney disease, visit a doctor each quarter and checkups. If you have any signs of illness, react instant treatment to the doctor, and then you will be protected, and sickness and troubles will be forgotten quickly.