What is tonsillitis and its causes?
Tonsillitis refers to an acute or chronic disease with infectious and allergic nature, affecting the tissue of the tonsils. In the case of acute tonsillitis the main precipitating factor is hypothermia (both general and local - the throat). For the development of chronic tonsillitis lead not only to frequent angina, influenza, but also the presence in the oral cavity teeth with untreated caries, periodontal diseases - these reasons are possible just with reduced human immune status. It is also one of the major causative factors of chronic tonsillitis are considered frequent acute form of the disease. Other factors contributing to the development of infected tonsils are:
- sudden environmental changes in temperature environment (such as a frost in a very hot office space);
- bad habits, especially smoking;
- low humidity;
- long frequent staying in dusty, gassy environments.
What are tonsillitis symptoms?
Acute tonsillitis is characterized by the acute onset of a pronounced general intoxication syndrome: the patient has raised body temperature, there is a sharp general weakness, chills, sweating, pain or aches in joints and muscles, reduced or completely lost appetite. At the same time or shortly after the symptoms the patient notes the appearance of pain in the throat, the intensity of which gradually increases, white patches on tonsils appear. At the peak of the disease pain is expressed and not allowed to sleep. You have swollen tonsils. The lymphatic system reacts to inflammation in the throat and an increase in morbidity regional lymph nodes.
Chronic tonsillitis is characterized by constantly successive periods of remission and exacerbation. Most often patients are concerned about the constant low-grade fever, a feeling of discomfort in the throat when swallowing, cough. At this stage, the disease diagnosis is mainly based on visual inspection of the throat of data - in particular, of the tonsils. There can be enlarged tonsils or normal. Against the background of acute respiratory viral infections or other diseases caused by low immunity, remission replaced exacerbations of chronic tonsillitis stage:
- body temperature rises;
- there are signs of intoxication - fatigue, lethargy, fatigue, palpitations, sweating;
- body sensation, discomfort, pain in the throat, usually of medium intensity;
- released from inflamed tonsils secret causes constant coughing patient.
The symptoms of an exacerbation of chronic tonsillitis is similar to acute manifestations of its form, however, the clinical picture of the first, as a rule, is not so pronounced and the patient's condition is violated not sharply, but in moderation.
Diseases associated with chronic tonsillitis
Such diseases are many and may be associated with tonsillitis, both directly and indirectly. They include rheumatism, systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, dermatomyositis. Skin diseases can also refer to chronic form - for example, it is psoriasis, eczema, polymorphic erythema. Plexitis, radicular pain, sciatica may influence on the diseases. The course of chronic tonsillitis is very often the cause of an elevated temperature in the body. Although the temperature is not very high, but patient feels inconvenience. Also, illness may cause a feeling of noise in the ears, and more. The clinical chronic tonsillitis pictures is characterized by recurrence of angina, usually 2-3 times a year, often 1 time in several years.
Acute tonsillitis mostly requires hospitalization of the patient in hospital infection. Treatment of this disease should be carried out by a doctor. Patients with sore throat, infected tonsils are showed:
- because the disease is very contagious - isolation from the others in the box infectious hospital or if treatment is still at home, in a private room;
- bed rest in the acute phase of the disease;
- light diet, drink plenty of warm;
- antibiotic therapy (typically use a broad spectrum antibiotic of cephalosporin group (Ñefaclor, Ceclor Cd, Ñefadroxil, Ceftin, Cephalexin, so on), protected penicillins (Amoxicillin, Amoxil, Augmentin, Ampicillin, Suprax, etc.), macrolides (Rulide, Biaxin, Zithromax, others));
- analgesic (painkillers) and anti-inflammatories (Indocin, Naprosyn, Pentagesic, Diclofenac, Aleve, and so on) and sprays;
- rinse antiseptic solutions;
- tonsil area processing antiseptics;
- antihistamines (Florinef, Claritin, Allegra, Clarinex, Benadryl, Haridra, Periactin, Phenergan, Xyzal, Zyrtec, etc.) in severe swelling of the tonsils;
- antipyretics (Zupar, Panadol Extra, and others) when the temperature rises highly;
Inhalations with tonsillitis are not effective enough, so prescribed by the doctor is very rare. The treatment of chronic tonsillitis is determined by its shape - the treatment may be either conservative or tonsil surgery. A simple form of the disease is treated conservatively, comprising medicines and physiotherapy. Its courses for 10 days during the year are repeated 2-3 times. If the effect of triple therapy is not available, conduct tonsillectomy – tonsil removal.
How to prevent the development of tonsillitis?
Prevention is the best method of treatment, as it helps prevent the developing of pathological process. This is especially true when it comes to tonsillitis. The main task of prophylaxis is to prevent reduction of immunity. Tonsils and adenoids are the organs of immune system. Particular attention should be given to local immunity. It is necessary to minimize the risk of damaging tonsils. Damage may be obtained from the impact of the dry, cold air, rough, dry, solid food. Upon contact with sick patients the risk of developing tonsillitis is increased. Not the least role in the prevention of angina plays the tempering of the tonsils. For this purpose, you can use periodically cold beverages, ice cream. It is important to remember that you can only harden the throat when a person or the child is healthy. Massage is one of the most effective methods of prevention of disease. It is necessary to raise a little chin and make light stroking movements along the chin in the direction of the jaw to the chest. This massage is useful to do before walking, especially in the cold season. The basis of a strong immune system is the correct, balanced diet. It is better to give up fast foods. The diet should be rich in vitamins, trace elements, light, easily digestible food. A healthy lifestyle is the foundation of a strong immune system that allows you to forget about tonsillitis.